When will quickfixj 1.6.x try backup?

Robert Nicholson

We saw a situation where quickfixj cannot connect to primary and then chooses backup which in our case isn't active active but active passive so when this happens what events will cause it to try primary again?

I think the code just alternates between them?

Is it only network level events that trigger a need to try backup and then later back to primary?

We saw evidence of failure to connect to primary then success to connect to backup but then logout and then connect to primary with sequence number other than 1 which is what the acceptor is expecting. If you connect to backup and get logout the primary still wants to see sequence number 1 when it eventually sees you for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: When will quickfixj 1.6.x try backup?

Øyvind Matheson Wergeland

Hi Robert,

You are correct, QF/J will connect to the current selected endpoint as
long as it answers (I don't remember if this is on TCP level or
successfull login), then it will move to the next in the list.

If you need to reset the session when changing endpoint, or manually
handle failover, you need to code something on top of QF/J. In my
personal experience, it may be a bit tricky to adapt the connection code
in QF/J if you can't just use the default behavior.

Regards, Øyvind

On 30.04.2016 18.22, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> We saw a situation where quickfixj cannot connect to primary and then chooses backup which in our case isn't active active but active passive so when this happens what events will cause it to try primary again?
>
> I think the code just alternates between them?
>
> Is it only network level events that trigger a need to try backup and then later back to primary?
>
> We saw evidence of failure to connect to primary then success to connect to backup but then logout and then connect to primary with sequence number other than 1 which is what the acceptor is expecting. If you connect to backup and get logout the primary still wants to see sequence number 1 when it eventually sees you for the first time.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: When will quickfixj 1.6.x try backup?

the failover support is implemented with the assumption that the counterparty has a shared session
store so that each counterparty end point can take over the session and continue where the failing
session left off. We use this successfully with a couple of counterparties.

As Øyvind said you could try to manually reset sequence numbers on failover. You could for example
get the current remote address (Session.getRemoteAddress) and reset sequence numbers once the remote
address changes. This of course has to be tested thoroughly.

Another way would be to reset sequence numbers on every logon. Given the fact that you would lose
session state anyway on failover, it might be an option.

Cheers,
Chris.