Quantcast

ValidateIncomingMessage=N

balakrishna billa

we are using quickfix 1.5.1 version and i wanted to know how this ValidateIncomingMessage=N configuration works.

We have a problem which says "Tag appears more than once" whenever an incoming message tags changes (new tags added) but our application does not use those hence we neither add hem to Data dictionary file nor validate those. so to solve this problem we have used ValidateUserDefinedFields=N but this works for some specific message type <TradeCaptureReport> only fails for <SecurityDefinitionResponse>....

I was under impression that this configuration will skip the validation for all the incoming message type though some of the message types requires validation as specified in the DD file. For some message types we need to validate the fileds example for message types <Logon> <TestRequest> <Checksum>

Can you please explain more on this configuration and also suggest if any configuration available to resolve this problem??

--
Thanks
Balakrishna

Re: ValidateIncomingMessage=N

please see documentation here:
http://www.quickfixj.org/quickfixj/usermanual/1.6.3/usage/configuration.html#Validation
ValidateUserDefinedFields only applies to tags greater than 5000 (which are the user-defined fields).

These validation options only apply to the message structure in the data dictionary, so checksums
will be validated regardless.

Since a data dictionary is needed for reconstruction of repeating groups I think you cannot live
without the data dictionary. IMHO you need to add the new tags to your data dictionary. Although
leaving them out might work in those cases where no new tags are added to a repeating group.

On 12/02/17 13:47, balakrishna billa wrote:

> we are using quickfix 1.5.1 version and i wanted to know how this ValidateIncomingMessage=N
> configuration works.
>
> We have a problem which says "Tag appears more than once" whenever an incoming message tags
> changes (new tags added) but our application does not use those hence we neither add hem to Data
> dictionary file nor validate those. so to solve this problem we have used
> ValidateUserDefinedFields=N but this works for some specific message type <TradeCaptureReport>
> only fails for <SecurityDefinitionResponse>....
>
> I was under impression that this configuration will skip the validation for all the incoming
> message type though some of the message types requires validation as specified in the DD file. For
> some message types we need to validate the fileds example for message types <Logon> <TestRequest>
> <Checksum>
>
> Can you please explain more on this configuration and also suggest if any configuration available
> to resolve this problem??
>

> --
> Thanks
> Balakrishna

Re: ValidateIncomingMessage=N

balakrishna billa

Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Could you please elaborate on the below parameter ?

I want to use ValidateIncomingMessage=N  not to validate every time on new tag added in one specific message. Will this be applied on the all the message structure (types) in the Data dictionary ? because I want other message type should work as is i.e validation needs to triggered if the fields marked as required.

ValidateIncomingMessageAllow to bypass the message validation (against the dictionary). Default is "Y".

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM, Christoph John <[hidden email]> wrote:

please see documentation here:
http://www.quickfixj.org/quickfixj/usermanual/1.6.3/usage/configuration.html#Validation
ValidateUserDefinedFields only applies to tags greater than 5000 (which are the user-defined fields).

These validation options only apply to the message structure in the data dictionary, so checksums
will be validated regardless.

Since a data dictionary is needed for reconstruction of repeating groups I think you cannot live
without the data dictionary. IMHO you need to add the new tags to your data dictionary. Although
leaving them out might work in those cases where no new tags are added to a repeating group.

On 12/02/17 13:47, balakrishna billa wrote:

> we are using quickfix 1.5.1 version and i wanted to know how this ValidateIncomingMessage=N
> configuration works.
>
> We have a problem which says "Tag appears more than once" whenever an incoming message tags
> changes (new tags added) but our application does not use those hence we neither add hem to Data
> dictionary file nor validate those. so to solve this problem we have used
> ValidateUserDefinedFields=N but this works for some specific message type <TradeCaptureReport>
> only fails for <SecurityDefinitionResponse>....
>
> I was under impression that this configuration will skip the validation for all the incoming
> message type though some of the message types requires validation as specified in the DD file. For
> some message types we need to validate the fileds example for message types <Logon> <TestRequest>
> <Checksum>
>
> Can you please explain more on this configuration and also suggest if any configuration available
> to resolve this problem??
>

> --
> Thanks
> Balakrishna

Direct: <a href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-28" value="+4924155708028">+49 241 557080-28
Mailto:[hidden email]

http://www.macd.com <http://www.macd.com/>

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-0" value="+492415570800">+49 241 557080-0 | Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-10" value="+4924155708010">+49 241 557080-10

Thanks
Balakrishna

Re: ValidateIncomingMessage=N

Hi Bala,

yes, it might have to do with the repeating groups. There is http://www.quickfixj.org/jira/browse/QFJ-656 and https://github.com/quickfix-j/quickfixj/pull/57/ respectively, which might fix the behaviour you are seeing. Maybe you can give it a go and test it. You'll at least need QFJ 1.6.2 for that.

On 13/02/17 10:14, balakrishna billa wrote:
Chris,

So we need to add/change Data Dictionary every time there is a change in the incoming messages though Application is not interested/consuming those?And no way of avoiding this.

Surprisingly the ValidateUserDefinedFields setting works for the TradeCaptureReport messages, after adding this setting we never changed/added entries in the Data dictionary file though there are changes in the Incoming message from ICE.
ValidateUserDefinedFields only applies to tags greater than 5000 (which are the user-defined fields).

But the same doesnt work for SecurityDefinitionResponse message and we started adding entries in the Data Dictionary to resolve the parsing issue whenever any tag added.

My question is why ValidateUserDefinedFields=N configuration doesnt work for all message types ?
is this because the above config doesnt  work on the fields of repeating groups ?  Repeating field 9215 MiFIDRegulatedMarket  of 711 NoUnderlyings repeating group which we have added in the DD for security definition response to parse the message.

Thanks,
Bala.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Christoph John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

ValidateIncomingMessage is applied to all messages, so you cannot selectively enable it only for some messages.

On 13/02/17 07:57, balakrishna billa wrote:

Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Could you please elaborate on the below parameter ?

I want to use ValidateIncomingMessage=N  not to validate every time on new tag added in one specific message. Will this be applied on the all the message structure (types) in the Data dictionary ? because I want other message type should work as is i.e validation needs to triggered if the fields marked as required.

ValidateIncomingMessage Allow to bypass the message validation (against the dictionary). Default is "Y".

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM, Christoph John <[hidden email]> wrote:
QuickFIX/J
Support: http://www.quickfixj.org/support/

Hi,

please see documentation here:
http://www.quickfixj.org/quickfixj/usermanual/1.6.3/usage/configuration.html#Validation
ValidateUserDefinedFields only applies to tags greater than 5000 (which are the user-defined fields).

These validation options only apply to the message structure in the data dictionary, so checksums
will be validated regardless.

Since a data dictionary is needed for reconstruction of repeating groups I think you cannot live
without the data dictionary. IMHO you need to add the new tags to your data dictionary. Although
leaving them out might work in those cases where no new tags are added to a repeating group.

On 12/02/17 13:47, balakrishna billa wrote:

> we are using quickfix 1.5.1 version and i wanted to know how this ValidateIncomingMessage=N
> configuration works.
>
> We have a problem which says "Tag appears more than once" whenever an incoming message tags
> changes (new tags added) but our application does not use those hence we neither add hem to Data
> dictionary file nor validate those. so to solve this problem we have used
> ValidateUserDefinedFields=N but this works for some specific message type <TradeCaptureReport>
> only fails for <SecurityDefinitionResponse>....
>
> I was under impression that this configuration will skip the validation for all the incoming
> message type though some of the message types requires validation as specified in the DD file. For
> some message types we need to validate the fileds example for message types <Logon> <TestRequest>
> <Checksum>
>
> Can you please explain more on this configuration and also suggest if any configuration available
> to resolve this problem??
>

> --
> Thanks
> Balakrishna

Direct: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-28" value="+4924155708028" target="_blank">+49 241 557080-28
Mailto:[hidden email]

http://www.macd.com <http://www.macd.com/>

Tel: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-0" value="+492415570800" target="_blank">+49 241 557080-0 | Fax: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B49%20241%20557080-10" value="+4924155708010" target="_blank">+49 241 557080-10

Thanks
Balakrishna

Direct: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:+49%20241%2055708028" value="+4924155708028" target="_blank">+49 241 557080-28
Mailto:Christoph.John@...

http://www.macd.com

Tel: +49 241 557080-0 | Fax: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:+49%20241%2055708010" value="+4924155708010" target="_blank">+49 241 557080-10

Thanks
Balakrishna

Mailto:Christoph.John@...

http://www.macd.com