Upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5.3 or 1.6?

ari11210

Hello all, I am currently using QFJ 1.3.3 in my system and it serves my needs well and seems to perform OK. Since it is such an old version I am considering upgrading to either 1.5.3 or 1.6. Does anyone know whether I should expect an increase in performance (speed, throughput, garbage collection, etc) by upgrading? or are these newer versions pretty similar in terms of performance? Considering mina would also being upgraded, does any know if I should expect a performance improvement in that layer? My system is somewhat high frequency as it sends market data. I appreciate any input on this... thanks for your help.

Re: Upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5.3 or 1.6?

I would suggest to upgrade to the most current version 1.6.2. Or even better, wait for some weeks
until 1.6.3 is out (no exact date defined yet).

IIRC there were no major performance improvements. There will be some GC-related improvements in the
1.7.0 version. But that is only available as SNAPSHOT currently. It is still undetermined when it
will be released.

Maybe you can put together a simple test bed with sending market data and testing against different
QFJ versions.

Cheers,

Chris.

On 10/08/16 04:43, Aaron (Ari) Engel wrote:

> Hello all, I am currently using QFJ 1.3.3 in my system and it serves my needs well and seems to
> perform OK. Since it is such an old version I am considering upgrading to either 1.5.3 or 1.6.
> Does anyone know whether I should expect an increase in performance (speed, throughput, garbage
> collection, etc) by upgrading? or are these newer versions pretty similar in terms of performance?
> Considering mina would also being upgraded, does any know if I should expect a performance
> improvement in that layer? My system is somewhat high frequency as it sends market data. I
> appreciate any input on this... thanks for your help.

> planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: Upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5.3 or 1.6?

Colin DuPlantis

FWIW, we upgraded in the last year or so from 1.5.3 to 1.6.x. We noticed no significant performance improvements and no degradation.

There were improvements in session handling, particularly dynamic sessions, if that floats your boat. No doubt there were many other improvements, too.

For my money, I see no advantage to upgrading to 1.5.3.

On 08/09/2016 07:43 PM, Aaron (Ari) Engel wrote:

Hello all, I am currently using QFJ 1.3.3 in my system and it serves my needs well and seems to perform OK. Since it is such an old version I am considering upgrading to either 1.5.3 or 1.6. Does anyone know whether I should expect an increase in performance (speed, throughput, garbage collection, etc) by upgrading? or are these newer versions pretty similar in terms of performance? Considering mina would also being upgraded, does any know if I should expect a performance improvement in that layer? My system is somewhat high frequency as it sends market data. I appreciate any input on this... thanks for your help.

Colin DuPlantis
Chief Architect, Marketcetera
Download, Run, Trade
888.868.4884 +1.541.306.6556