Quantcast

Testing acceptor for recovery

Vipin Chaudhary

Hi Team,

We are developing a acceptor using quickfixj. We are using a custom message store to support the recovery of lost messages. I want to test my acceptor for these scenerio.

What is the correct way to simulate the recovery scenerio?

Can we send MessageResend request manualy from our test initiator ? will the sequence number will create further problem in this case

Please suggest a better way to test recovery scenerio, I want to test that my acceptor is able to correctly handle the MessageResend requests

Thanks
Vipin

Re: Testing acceptor for recovery

QFJ already has implemented support for Resend requests. Every message that you sent is put to the
message store and can be retransmitted when a ResendRequest is received.
What makes your message store a custom message store? Maybe you can elaborate on what you want to
achieve.

Chris.

On 16/03/17 06:50, Vipin Chaudhary wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We are developing a acceptor using quickfixj. We are using a custom message store to support the
> recovery of lost messages. I want to test my acceptor for these scenerio.
>
> What is the correct way to simulate the recovery scenerio?
>
> Can we send MessageResend request manualy from our test initiator ? will the sequence number will
> create further problem in this case
>
> Please suggest a better way to test recovery scenerio, I want to test that my acceptor is able to
> correctly handle the MessageResend requests
>

> Thanks
> Vipin

Re: Testing acceptor for recovery

Vipin Chaudhary

Hi Christoph,

Due to high volume and space requirement to store full FIX message, we have custom store that just save a identifier per fix message, using that identifier we can recreate the fix message when there is any resend request. I have tested the get() of my store using unit test , but testing team need to test that our acceptor can handle MessageResend request. Thats why I want to know what is the correct way to simulate the MessageResending behaviour.

Is this clear my question, if no I will elaborate further.

Thanks
Vipin

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Christoph John <[hidden email]> wrote:

QFJ already has implemented support for Resend requests. Every message that you sent is put to the
message store and can be retransmitted when a ResendRequest is received.
What makes your message store a custom message store? Maybe you can elaborate on what you want to
achieve.

Chris.

On 16/03/17 06:50, Vipin Chaudhary wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We are developing a acceptor using quickfixj. We are using a custom message store to support the
> recovery of lost messages. I want to test my acceptor for these scenerio.
>
> What is the correct way to simulate the recovery scenerio?
>
> Can we send MessageResend request manualy from our test initiator ? will the sequence number will
> create further problem in this case
>
> Please suggest a better way to test recovery scenerio, I want to test that my acceptor is able to
> correctly handle the MessageResend requests
>

> Thanks
> Vipin

http://www.macd.com <http://www.macd.com/>

Re: Testing acceptor for recovery

Hi Vipin,

I assume these are no market data messages? In that case I'd rather suggest to not store them since they are going to be outdated quite fast.

Anyway, I would try to test this as follows:
1. Send out messages via your acceptor.
2. Disconnect the session.
3. On the initiator side, set the incoming sequence number to 1.
4. On the next logon, the acceptor will continue with sequence number xxx (where the session was ended).
5. The initiator will re-request all messages from 1 to xxx.

Hope that helps,
Chris.

On 16/03/17 09:14, Vipin Chaudhary wrote:
Hi Christoph,

Due to high volume and space requirement to store full FIX message, we have custom store that just save a identifier per fix message, using that identifier we can recreate the fix message when there is any resend request. I have tested the get() of my store using unit test , but testing team need to test that our acceptor can handle MessageResend request. Thats why I want to know what is the correct way to simulate the MessageResending behaviour.

Is this clear my question, if no I will elaborate further.

Thanks
Vipin

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Christoph John <[hidden email]> wrote:
QuickFIX/J
Support: http://www.quickfixj.org/support/

Hi,

QFJ already has implemented support for Resend requests. Every message that you sent is put to the
message store and can be retransmitted when a ResendRequest is received.
What makes your message store a custom message store? Maybe you can elaborate on what you want to
achieve.

Chris.

On 16/03/17 06:50, Vipin Chaudhary wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We are developing a acceptor using quickfixj. We are using a custom message store to support the
> recovery of lost messages. I want to test my acceptor for these scenerio.
>
> What is the correct way to simulate the recovery scenerio?
>
> Can we send MessageResend request manualy from our test initiator ? will the sequence number will
> create further problem in this case
>
> Please suggest a better way to test recovery scenerio, I want to test that my acceptor is able to
> correctly handle the MessageResend requests
>

> Thanks
> Vipin

http://www.macd.com <http://www.macd.com/>
------------------------------

Mailto:Christoph.John@...

http://www.macd.com

Re: Testing acceptor for recovery

Daniel Marques-2

Is the other side of the session (the initiator) also a quickfixj application?

If so, the simplest would be to use the jmx console (on the initiator) to disconnect the session, and then set its next inbound / target sequence number to 1, and then allow it to logon again.

When it logs in, it should send a resend request (35=2) to your acceptor, and your acceptor should respond by replaying all the messages it had sent.