Logout sent at session start

Pergus

I am running a QuickFIX/J initiator using FIX 4.2. When a session expires on my side (because EndTime is reached) a logout message is sent to the counterparty and the initiator immediately disconnects, without waiting for a logout response (isn't the engine supposed to wait for a logout response before disconnecting according to the FIX specs?). Later on, when time reaches StartTime for the new session, the first thing that happens is that the initiator sends a logout message to the counterparty and then disconnects. This doesn't seem right. Could anyone please explain why this happens? It would appear as though the engine has queued the logout response from the counterparty before the previous session was shut down and the initiator interprets it as a new message at the start of the new session. This becomes a problem when the counterparty doesn't ignore messages that are sent before logon messages have been exchanged and the sequence numbers get out of sync.

Many thanks,

Pergus

Re: Logout sent at session start

ChristopherH

Unitl someone gives you a far better answer, but just pointing out the obvious ...

Your initiator isn't using stop(true) is i.e. force disconnect  rather than stop(false) or just stop ()
(Ref : quickfix.Connector.java) , I think thats part of ypour application code and not a setting ??obviously depending on which stop is selected you'll get your intended and unintended behaviour as regards waiting for the logout.

From:  Pergus <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]
Subject:  [Quickfixj-users] Logout sent at session start
Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:05:11 +0100
>QuickFIX/J Documentation: http://www.quickfixj.org/documentation/
>QuickFIX/J Support: http://www.quickfixj.org/support/

Hi,

[...]

Upload 500 photos a month & blog with your Messenger buddies on Windows Live Spaces. Get yours now, FREE!

Re: Logout sent at session start

Pergus

Chris, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my problem occurs when the session is automatically recycling at the end of the day (I am using a daily session schedule). I am not controlling the logout and disconnect with my application code in that case.

On 3/6/07, Chris Hurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
QuickFIX/J Documentation: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.quickfixj.org/documentation/QuickFIX/J" target="_blank">http://www.quickfixj.org/documentation/
QuickFIX/J Support: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.quickfixj.org/support/" target="_blank">http://www.quickfixj.org/support/

From:  Pergus <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]
Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:05:11 +0100

Upload 500 photos a month & blog with your Messenger buddies on Windows Live Spaces. <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUK/2755??PS=47575" target="_blank">Get yours now, FREE!