How to send new/custom message types

Kimpton, C (Chris)

I am trying to send a QuoteAck (typ=CW) – defined in this extension - http://www.fixtradingcommunity.org/pg/extensions/extension-pack?ExtensionID=EP143

As its not in the standard XML definition, I have added it to my custom dictionary (new message tag and added it to the MsgType enum).

I am creating the message with code like this:

  Message m = new Message();  // tried both the core and FIX50sp2 specific classes.

  m.getHeader().setField(new BeginString(“FIXT.1.1”));

  m.getHeader().setField(new MsgType(“CW”));

  // also set sender/target and fields defined in the xml

I am testing with the my own initiator/acceptor – the sending seems to go ok, but the receiver rejects the message with 58=“Value is incorrect (out of range) for this tag” 371=35

The custom dictionary is being used on both the initiator and acceptor.

I’d have thought the custom dictionary enum would address this.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Cheers,

Chris

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Re: How to send new/custom message types

Ishmael Rufus

Did you build the library based on your custom dictionary?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Kimpton, C (Chris) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ishmael Rufus - Programmer
Ditto Holdings, Inc.
200 W. Monroe St.
Suite 1430
Chicago, IL 60606
(312)263-5400

Re: How to send new/custom message types

Kimpton, C (Chris)

> Did you build the library based on your custom dictionary?

Hmm - nope. Is that required?

Thanks

[...]

I have got this working - I had only amended the AppDataDict, not the Transport one. I added the new CW MsgType to its enum.  Whereas the AppDataDict just included the QuoteAck message tag.

I guess this means the AppDataDict MsgType enum is not used when you are using FIXT.

Cheers,
Chris