[Fwd: quickfixj-users]

dasun

I have a senario whcih I am faced with an exchnage. I send the login
request (35=A) and I get the response(35=A) back as usual. Then just after
that response I get another message (35=A) with 141=Y. My quick fix
doesn't send a reply to that. (According to exchnage I need to send
another 35=A with 141=Y). and then after some time exchnage logout from
the session.

How can I do this in QuickFIX/J (I am on v1.0)
will upgrading to 1.0.5 solve this issue?

best regards,

Dasun Perera

Re: [Fwd: quickfixj-users]

Stephen Bate
Hi Dasun,

This sounds like nonstandard FIX behavior on the part of the exchange.
Is this an encrypted session that needs some form of multistage logon
negotiation (which QuickFIX(/J) does not support)? If not, I don't know
why the exchange would be sending a second logon acknowledgement or why
they'd expect the initiator to respond to it. Which exchange is this?

Steve

Re: [Fwd: quickfixj-users]

Oren Miller
It is in fact legal to send a logon message with the reset field set
to Y at anytime.

--oren

On Feb 26, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Steve Bate wrote:

> Hi Dasun,
>
> This sounds like nonstandard FIX behavior on the part of the exchange.
> Is this an encrypted session that needs some form of multistage logon
> negotiation (which QuickFIX(/J) does not support)? If not, I don't
> know
> why the exchange would be sending a second logon acknowledgement or
> why
> they'd expect the initiator to respond to it. Which exchange is this?
>
> Steve

Re: [Fwd: quickfixj-users]

Stephen Bate
Is the initiator expected to ack the unsolicited logon used for
reset purpose?

> It is in fact legal to send a logon message with the reset field set
> to Y at anytime.
>
> --oren
>
> On Feb 26, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Steve Bate wrote:
>
>> QuickFIX/J Documentation: http://www.quickfixj.org/documentation/
>> QuickFIX/J Support: http://www.quickfixj.org/support/
>> Hi Dasun,
>>
>> This sounds like nonstandard FIX behavior on the part of the exchange.
>> Is this an encrypted session that needs some form of multistage logon
>> negotiation (which QuickFIX(/J) does not support)? If not, I don't
>> know
>> why the exchange would be sending a second logon acknowledgement or
>> why
>> they'd expect the initiator to respond to it. Which exchange is this?
>>
>> Steve

Re: [Fwd: quickfixj-users]

Oren Miller

Yes, this is the excerpt from the spec.

"One side will initiate the process by sending a TestRequest and wait for a
Heartbeat in response to ensure of no sequence number gaps.  Once the Heartbeat has been received, the
initiator should send a Logon with ResetSeqNumFlag set to Y and with MsgSeqNum of 1.  The acceptor
should respond with a Logon with ResetSeqNumFlag set to Y and with MsgSeqNum of 1.  At this point
new messages from either side should continue with MsgSeqNum of 2.  It should be noted that once the
initiator sends the Logon with the ResetSeqNumFlag set, the acceptor must obey this request and the
message with the last sequence number transmitted “yesterday” may no longer be available.  The
connection should be shutdown and manual intervention taken if this process is initiated but not followed
properly. "

On Feb 26, 2007, at 1:31 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Is the initiator expected to ack the unsolicited logon used for
reset purpose?

It is in fact legal to send a logon message with the reset field set
to Y at anytime.

--oren

On Feb 26, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Steve Bate wrote:

Hi Dasun,

This sounds like nonstandard FIX behavior on the part of the exchange.
Is this an encrypted session that needs some form of multistage logon
negotiation (which QuickFIX(/J) does not support)? If not, I don't
know
why the exchange would be sending a second logon acknowledgement or
why
they'd expect the initiator to respond to it. Which exchange is this?

Steve

Re: Missing ack when logon initiator is sequence reset acceptor...

Stephen Bate

Hi Oren,

Very interesting. I didn’t realize the initiator and acceptor could exchange roles for sequence reset purposes. Does the C++ Session implementation handle this scenario? The only place I see a logon being ack’ed is guarded by

  if (!m_state.initiate() || (m_state.sentReset() && !m_state.receivedReset())) {

    . . .

        generateLogon( logon );

  }

In the scenario we’re discussing, the original logon initiator session is receiving a logon for sequence reset purposes (it becomes the sequence reset “acceptor”). The logon initiator session will do the sequence number reset, but since it is not the logon acceptor and it didn’t send the reset request it appears that a logon ack will not be sent. Is that accurate? Is there an acceptance test for the correct behavior?

Steve